Places in Ooty to visit :
In British rule , it was developed as summer resort . Ooty is a resort town in the state of Tamil Nadu . It’s located in the midst of western ghat mountains . Officially it is known as udhagamandalam . The Town is situated at the elevation of 2240 feet . Coonoor and kothagiri are two small hill stations , located in the vicinity of Ooty .
Beautiful places of Ooty :
- Avalanche Lake
- Ooty Lake
- Emerald Lake
- Dodabetta Peak
- Kalhatty waterfalls
- Kamraj sagar Dam
- Needle Rock view point
- Ooty Rose Garden
- Ooty Toy train
- Parsons Valley Reservoir
- Pykara waterfalls
- Toda huts
1. Avalanche Lake : The lake is 28 kms away from the town . Avalanche Lake is located in the midst of thick forests . The place is also famous as camp site among tourists .The Lake is located in the district of Nilgiris .
Things to do : Rafting , fishing and Trekking the nearby areas .
2. Ooty Lake :
The lake is just 1km away from the Ooty bus stand . It’s a artificial lake and a major tourist attraction in the town . It was constructed in 1824 . Boating facilities are available there for the tourists .
3. Emerald Lake : The Lake is located at the distance of 25kms from the town in the emerald village of Nilgiris district . Its nearby areas are known as silent valley . Surrounded by tea plantations , Emerald lake is a major picnic spot . It’s also one of best nearby places in Ooty to visit .
4. Dodabetta Peak : it’s 4th highest peak in South India . Dodabetta Peak is situated in Nilgiri Mountains . It’s around 9kms away from the Ooty . The place is one of best & beautiful places in Ooty to visit . Telescopes facilities are also available there for the visitors . The meaning of Dodabetta is big hill .
5. Kalhatty waterfalls :
The falls are 13 kms away from the town . Kalhatty waterfalls is located on the route of Ooty-mysore . These waterfalls are located near the kalhatty village .
6. Kamraj sagar Dam
The dam is 10kms away from the town’s bus stand . Kamraj sagar Dam is located in the district of Nilgiris . The place is also famous as picnic spot among tourists .
7. Needle Rock view point : The place is located in the route of gudalur-ooty . Gudalur is around 50kms away from the Ooty . Needle Rock view point ,located in the Nilgiris district is a major tourist spot . The place provides beautiful and romantic views of mountains .
8. Ooty Rose Garden
9. Ooty Toy train : Nilgiri mountain railway line was built in British raj in 1908 . It’s also added in World Heritage site programme of UNESCO .Ooty Toy train is one of best places in Ooty to visit .
10. Parsons Valley Reservoir
The place is around 15kms away from the Ooty railway station . For visiting the Parsons Valley Reservoir ,you need permission of forest department . The reservoir is source of water for the people residing in the Ooty .
11. Pykara waterfalls : Pykara is a river which is considered as holy river by the todas . Pykara waterfalls are 15 kms away from the town . It’s one of best places in Ooty to visit . Mukurthi peak is the source destination of the pykara River . The place is one of most visited places of Ooty .
12. Toda huts
Todas are Dravidian ethnic people residing in Nilgiri Mountains region . The huts where they live are beautifully designed by them . Huts built by todas attract tourists .
How to reach Ooty :
By Air : The nearest airport is Coimbatore airport . It’s a domestic airport that is around 88 kms away from the Ooty .
By train : The nearest railway station is Mettupalayam which is around 40 kms away from the Ooty .
Ooty best time to visit:
It’s a year round destination for the tourists . The best time to visit the Ooty is winter season . Months from April to June are also the best months to visit.