Places in mumbai to visit
It’s India’s financial and commercial capital . Mumbai is located in the state of Maharashtra . It’s India’s largest city, located on the Arabian sea coast . The city is also famous as bollywood hub . There are many famous and historical places . Gateway of India , Elephanta caves are UNESCO heritage site , located in mumbai . In British raj ,the city was known as Bombay . Mumbai was named after the local goddess Mumba ( a form of goddess Parvati ) . Old mumbai areas are devoid of vegetation but malabar hill areas contain lush green vegetation . RBI ,the central bank of india is located in the mumbai .
Places in mumbai to visit :
1. Elephanta caves : The site is UNESCO World Heritage site . Elephanta caves are located at the distance of 10 kms from the mumbai . There are cave temples , mostly dedicated to Lord shiva . 6th century Shiva temple in the Elephanta caves is most beautiful attraction . The figure of three headed form is also an important attraction here .
2. Gateway of India : it was built in British raj .The construction of the gateway of India was completed in 1924 . Currently , it comes under the Archeological survey of India . The place is one of most visited places in mumbai to visit .
3. Marine drive : it’s also famous as queen’s necklace . Marine drive is around 3.9 km long paved public walk along the Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose road .
4. Juhu beach : it’s located on the coast of Arabian sea . Juhu beach extends to the versova . There are Scattered Rocky formations that make the beach different & beautiful . Juhu beach is also one of best places in mumbai to visit .
5. Film City mumbai : it’s known as DadaSaheb phalke Chitra Nagri . Film City is a studio complex , located near the sanjay gandhi national park . Many famous bollywood films have been filmed here .
6. Hanging Gardens : The place is located near the Kamala Nehru park . The Gardens were established in 1881 . Hanging Gardens of mumbai provide beautiful sunset views over the Arabian sea .
7. Prince of Wales museum : Now ,the museum is known as Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj vastu sangrahalaya . It’s located near the gateway of India . The museum was named after the Chhatrapati Shivaji in 1998 .
8. Mumbai Zoo : The Zoo is not big and also it contains few animals and birds . Anyway ,The Zoo is good place to spend time with family .
9. Essel World : it’s an famous amusement park , located in Dharavi mumbai . Essel World was opened in 1989 . The park is one largest amusement parks in India .
10. Siddhivinayak temple : The temple is listed as one of rich temples in India . Siddhivinayak temple is dedicated to Lord Ganesh, the son of Lord Shiva . The temple was constructed in 1801 .
11. Chhatrapati Shivaji terminus : The construction of the terminal was completed in 1888 . It’s listed as UNESCO World Heritage site . Chhatrapati Shivaji terminus is 133 years old .
12. Kamla Nehru park : The park was named after the wife of pandit Jawaharlal Nehru . It was built in 1952 . Kamla Nehru park is a part of hanging Gardens mumbai .
13. Global Vipassana Pagoda : it’s a meditation hall ,one of largest meditation halls of World . The Pagoda was inaugurated in 2009 by then president of india , pratibha patil .
14. Kanheri caves : kanheri means black mountain . The caves are located in the premises of sanjay gandhi national park. Kanheri caves contain relief carvings, paintings,Buddhist sculptures dating back to 1st CE .
15. Iskcon temple : The temple was built in 1978 . It’s known as Sri Sri Radha rasbihari temple . Every day, many devotees visit this temple .
16. Mahakali caves
The caves are mainly Buddhist caves situated in udayagiri hills, Mumbai.
Mahakali caves, Excavated during 200 BC to 600 AD are now in ruins.
The site Comprises of total 19 caves .
Cave 9 is is an ancient cave and it consists of stupa of Buddha .
17. Worli sea face : it’s an old sea face site . Worli sea face provide mesmerizing views of the Arabian sea .
18 . Bandra Bandstand : it’s a 1.2 km long promenade . Bandra Bandstand is a famous hangout spot .
19 . Carter road : it’s also a 1.2 km long promenade . Carter road walkway is one of famous hangout places in mumbai .
Near places in mumbai to visit :
- Kalamb beach : The beach is located in Nala sopara in the district of Palghar . Kalamb beach is located in the far north side suburb area .
- Mahipatagad trek : Mahipatagad is a fort in the state of Maharashtra . It’s situated on the hill . The fort is one of largest forts in Maharashtra . One can travel through state transport bus to the village wadi jaitapur only . There is a 3 hours walking trek from this village to the fort .
- Jivdhan trek : jivdhan is a hill fortress located in the pune district of Maharashtra . Jivdhan Fort is located in nane ghat . The Trek is considered as difficult Trekking route .
- Mahuli Trek : Maholi provide beautiful trekking route . Maholi is a fort located in the Thane district of Maharashtra . It’s located at the altitude of about 2900 feet .
- Haji malang dargah & Trek : Haji malang gad Fort is located in the Thane district of Maharashtra . It was place of a 12th century sufi Saint Haji Abdur Rahman .
- Bhimashankar Trek : The Trek is around 275 kms away from the mumbai . Bhimashankar Trek is around 7-8 kms long . The Trek is located at height of 3250 feet .
- Gorakhgad Trek : Gorakhgad is Fort located in the Thane district of Maharashtra . Gorakhgad Fort is one of thrilling and best trekking Places near Mumbai .
Mumbai is a year round travel destination but the best time to visit mumbai is from November to March .