Explore The Best Places to Visit in Mumbai & famous tourist places in Mumbai
- Tourist attractions in Mumbai
- Best places to visit in Mumbai
- 1. Elephanta caves
- 2. Gateway of India (Tourist Places in Mumbai)
- 3. Juhu Beach (Points of interest in Mumbai)
- 4. Prince of Wales museum (Tourist Places in Mumbai)
- 5. Essel World (Destinations in Mumbai)
- 6. Siddhivinayak temple (Tourist Places in Mumbai)
- 7. Chhatrapati Shivaji terminus (Destinations in Mumbai)
- 8. Kamla Nehru Park (Tourist Places in Mumbai)
- 9. Global Vipassana Pagoda (Points of interest in Mumbai)
- 10. Kanheri caves (Tourist Places in Mumbai)
- Nearby Tourist places in mumbai to visit
Tourist attractions in Mumbai
Mumbai is India’s financial and commercial capital. Mumbai is located in the state of Maharashtra. It’s India’s largest city, located on the Arabian Sea coast. The city is also famous as a Bollywood hub. There are many famous and historical places. Gateway of India, Elephanta caves are UNESCO heritage sites, located in Mumbai. In the British Raj, the city was known as Bombay. Mumbai was named after the local goddess Mumba ( a form of the goddess Parvati ) . Old Mumbai areas are devoid of vegetation but Malabar hill areas contain lush green vegetation. RBI,the central bank of india is located in Mumbai. Here are the Tourist Places in Mumbai.
Best places to visit in Mumbai
1. Elephanta caves
The site is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Elephanta caves are located at a distance of 10 kms from mumbai. There are cave temples , mostly dedicated to Lord shiva . 6th century Shiva temple in the Elephanta caves is most beautiful attraction . The figure of three headed form is also an important attraction here .Elephanta Cave entrance ticket for Indian tourists is 40 INR. Ticket prices for Elephanta Caves are the same for visitors from SAARC and BIMSTEC countries. However, foreigners have to pay he INR 600 as entrance fee to Elephanta Cave. Admission to the monument is free for children under 15 years old. It’s one of famous tourist places in Mumbai.
2. Gateway of India (Tourist Places in Mumbai)
Gateway of India is located on the waterfront of the Apollo Bandar area at the edge of Chhatrapati Shivaji Marg in South Mumbai, overlooking the Arabian Sea. Also known as Mumbai’s Taj Mahal, this monument is a major tourist attraction in the city.The construction of the Gateway of India was completed in 1924 . Currently, it comes under the Archeological survey of India . The place is one of the most visited places in Mumbai to visit.
3. Juhu Beach (Points of interest in Mumbai)
Juhu Beach located on the coast of the Arabian sea. Juhu beach extends to the versova . A tourist attraction and a filming location all year round. Crowds are expected on weekends and holidays. The food court at the main entrance is known for its ‘Mumbai-style’ street food, especially bell puri, pani puri and cebu puri.There are Scattered Rocky formations that make the beach different & beautiful . Juhu beach is also one of best tourist places in mumbai to visit .
4. Prince of Wales museum (Tourist Places in Mumbai)
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya (CSMVS), originally known as the Museum of the Prince of Wales of the West India, is a museum in Bombay, Mumbai that chronicles the history of India from prehistoric times to the present day.Now ,the museum is known as Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj vastu sangrahalaya . It’s located near the gateway of India . The museum was named after the Chhatrapati Shivaji in 1998 .
5. Essel World (Destinations in Mumbai)
A famous amusement park, located in Dharavi Mumbai. Essel World was opened in 1989. The park is one largest amusement parks in India. Essel World has been commissioned to develop the Gollewada International Zoo. A decision to settle the mutual dispute was chaired by Secretary-General Manukumar Srivastava and was made in April. However, technical issues between FDCM and Essel World prevented the deal from proceeding.
6. Siddhivinayak temple (Tourist Places in Mumbai)
The temple is listed as one of the rich temples in India. The temple has a small mandap with a shrine to Siddhi Vinayak (“Ganesha who grants your wishes”). The wooden door to the sanctuary is carved with images of Ashtavinayak (his eight manifestations of Ganesha in Maharashtra).Siddhivinayak temple is dedicated to Lord Ganesh, the son of Lord Shiva . The temple was constructed in 1801 .
7. Chhatrapati Shivaji terminus (Destinations in Mumbai)
The construction of the terminal was completed in 1888. It’s listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site. Chhatrapati Shivaji terminus is 133 years old .This is famous for the world’s most functional railway station buildings, serving more than 3 million commuters daily. The property is an excellent example of the revival of Victorian Gothic architecture in India mixed with traditional Indian architectural themes.
8. Kamla Nehru Park (Tourist Places in Mumbai)
Nehru Park is a sprawling 80-hectare park in the city centre. Founded in 1969 and named after India’s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal his Nehru, Nehru Park is a popular venue for many music shows such as SPIC MACAY and the Bhakti Music Festival.The park was named after the wife of pandit Jawaharlal Nehru . It was built in 1952. Kamla Nehru park is a part of hanging Gardens mumbai .
9. Global Vipassana Pagoda (Points of interest in Mumbai)
About 280 feet in diameter and 325 feet high, the stone structure houses an original skeletal relic of the Buddha in its dome donated by the government of Sri Lanka and the Indian Maha Bodhi Society. The pagoda is the dream project of his Mr. S.N., the first Vipassana teacher. A meditation hall ,one of largest meditation halls of World . The Pagoda was inaugurated in 2009 by then president of india , pratibha patil .
10. Kanheri caves (Tourist Places in Mumbai)
kanheri means black mountain. The caves are located in the premises of sanjay gandhi national park. Kanheri caves contain relief carvings, paintings.After the cave was converted into a permanent monastery, its walls were carved with intricate reliefs of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. Built in the 1st century AD, the Kanheri Caves became an important Buddhist settlement on the Konkan Coast by the 3rd century AD.
Nearby Tourist places in mumbai to visit
- Kalamb beach : The beach is located in Nala sopara in the district of Palghar . Kalamb beach is located in the far north side suburb area.
- Mahipatagad trek: Mahipatagad is a fort in the state of Maharashtra. It’s situated on the hill . The fort is one of the largest forts in Maharashtra . One can travel through state transport bus to the village wadi jaitapur only . There is a 3 hours walking trek from this village to the fort .
- Jivdhan trek: jivdhan is a hill fortress located in the pune district of Maharashtra. Jivdhan Fort is located in nane ghat . The Trek is considered as difficult Trekking route .
- Mahuli Trek: Maholi provides a beautiful trekking route. Maholi is a fort located in the Thane district of Maharashtra . It’s located at the altitude of about 2900 feet .
- Haji malang dargah & Trek: Haji malang gad Fort is located in the Thane district of Maharashtra. It was place of a 12th century sufi Saint Haji Abdur Rahman .
- Bhimashankar Trek : The Trek is around 275 kms away from the mumbai . Bhimashankar Trek is around 7-8 kms long. The Trek is located at height of 3250 feet .
- Gorakhgad Trek : Gorakhgad is Fort located in the Thane district of Maharashtra . Gorakhgad Fort is one of thrilling and best trekking Places near Mumbai .
Mumbai is a year round travel destination but the best time to visit mumbai is from November to March .