Places for visit in Darjeeling
it’s a Town in the Indian state West Bengal . Darjeeling is located in the foothills of Himalaya and provides Mesmerizing views of India’s highest peak Kanchenjunga Mountain . In British rule , it was developed as summer resort . Darjeeling is also famous for its Tea all over the world . Britishers introduced tea plantations in the area . Darjeeling’sTemperate type of climate attracted the Britishers to establish it as a hill station . Darjeeling is part of eastern Himalaya & known as queen of hills . Steamed foods like momos ,stick rice are famous in the areas of the town. if you’re a lover of trekking ,you should not miss the chance to visit the Darjeeling .
Places for visit in Darjeeling :
1. Darjeeling Toy train : it runs between new Jalpaiguri and Darjeeling . In around two hours you can take round trip through this railway . It’s famous as Darjeeling Himalayan railway . UNESCO has declared the Darjeeling Himalayan railway as world heritage site . Several bollywood songs have been filmed here . The famous one bollywood song mere sapno ki rani was filmed here . Ghum ,the highest railway station of india lies enroute from Darjeeling to New Jalpaiguri . The 88 km long railway track was built between 1879 to 1881 .
2. Padmaza Naidu Himalayan zoological park : The Zoo is famous as Darjeeling zoo . The largest high altitude zoo , Darjeeling zoo was opened for public in 1958 . Padmaza Naidu was daughter of Sarojini Naidu . The zoo was named after the daughter of Sarojini Naidu . The zoo is known for the conservation breeding programmes for endangered animals like Red panda, snow leopard etc .
3. Tiger Hill : The Hill point is located in Darjeeling . Tiger Hill provides Mesmerizing views of Mount Everest and Kanchenjunga . The Hill is also a famous sunrise and sunset point . It’s one of best places for visit in Darjeeling . The famous Hill is around 13 kms away from the town .
4. Batasia Loop : it’s a spiral railway track . Batasia Loop was built in 1919 to lower the himalayan steep gradient . It’s 5 kms away from the town . There’s also a war memorial dedicated to gorkhas .
5. Peace Pagoda , Darjeeling : it takes only 10 minutes to reach there from city centre by foot . The four avatars of Budha have been represented. Here .
6. Mahakal Temple , Darjeeling : The temple is dedicated to lord Shiva . The unique feature of this temple is you’ll see here the coexistence of Hindu and Budhist religion both .
7. Rangeet Valley ropeway : it’s Famous as Darjeeling ropeway . Rangeet valley passenger ropeway is a famous tourist attraction in Darjeeling . The Ropeway service was started in 1968 . It provides beautiful views of the valley and tea estate . It’s also one of best places for visit in Darjeeling .
8. Dali monastery :
The monastery was built in 1971 . Dali monastery lie between the Ghoom and Darjeeling route . The monastery has vast collection of books on Buddhism .
9. Darjeeling Mall : It’s the centre of the Town . Several shops , restaurants, coffee shops are located here . It’s also known as chaurasta .
10. Mirik : it’s a Town, located in the district of Darjeeling . Mirik is situated on the banks of a large lake . It provides beautiful views of Kanchenjunga snow . If you’re visiting to Darjeeling you should not miss the chance to visit Mirik . It’s Said that Mirik represents Nainital and manali together as a tourist destination . Mirik is famous as one of best places for visit in Darjeeling . The distance between Mirik and Darjeeling is just 40 kms .
11. Teesta valley Tea estate : Teesta valley is one of beautiful place in the west bengal . Teesta valley is famous as hub of Tea production .
12. Singalila National park : The National park is situated on the singalila Ridge at the altitude of 7000 feet above the sea level . The famous trekking route to sandakphu runs through the singalila National park . It was designated as National park in 1992 .
13. Shrubbery nightingale park : it’s a beautiful park located in the heart of Darjeeling . Shrubbery park is just located at the distance of 10 minutes walking distance from the Mall .
14. Sandakphu & Phaluk Trek : The trek runs from singalila Ridge to sandakphu . The highest point of the singalila Ridge is sandakphu . It provides Mesmerizing panorama view of Kanchenjunga . It’s also one of top places of visit in Darjeeling .
15. Barbotey Rock Garden : Famous as Rock garden , it’s the one of beautiful places of visit in Darjeeling . Beautiful waterfall and hill attracts the tourists . It’s the best place to visit in Darjeeling with family . Rock garden is 6.2 miles away from the hill town .
16. Senchal Lake :
The Lake is a part of senchal sanctuary . The sanctuary is one of oldest sanctuaries in the town . Senchal Lake is around 10 kms away from the Darjeeling .
17. Jhandi Dara : it’s a beautiful sunrise and sunset point . Jhandi Dara sunrise point is around 50 kms away from the town by road . It’s one of most beautiful places .
How to reach Darjeeling :
By Air : The nearest airport is bagdodara . Flights to delhi, kolkata and Guwahati are available there .
By Train : The nearest railway station is new Jalpaiguri near the siliguri .
Summer months are the best time to visit Darjeeling . Months of october and November are also best time for visiting the town .